Winter is almost here, and you know what that means. In the words of the old Nyquil commercials, "sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever...." Here are some tips to help you stay healthy for the season:
1) Use clean filters in your air system and a humidifier to offset the dryness of indoor heat that can irritate the nose and throat and make them especially susceptible to germs and bacteria.
2) Wash your hands frequently, especially before eating or touching your face and also if your friends, family members, or coworkers are sick.
3) Get vaccinated for the flu in the fall, before the season begins and before you get sick with the flu.
4) Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and maybe even consider taking vitamin C or herbal supplements such as garlic, astragalus, or echinacea, to help keep the immune system healthy.
5) Keep exercising throughout the winter to keep yourself in shape, but don't overexert yourself. Too much stress on the body can weaken the immune system.
6) Get 6 - 8 hours of sleep each night.
7) If you do all of these things and still end up getting sick and you decide to take over-the-counter cold or flu medications, be sure to read the labels and follow directions carefully. If you're already feeling sick you don't need the added problems associated with side effects or overdoses.